Saturday, July 29, 2006

Lesson 29: "He Took Up . . . the Mantle of Elijah" (.pdf) (.pub)


From the Church-related sources:

  • Travis T. Anderson. "Naaman, Baptism, and Cleansing." Ensign, Jan. 1994. 28.
  • Bruce L. Andreason, "The Mantle of Elijah." Ensign, Aug. 2002. 24.
  • Elder Waldo P. Call, "Follow the Prophets." Ensign, Nov. 1990. 82.
  • Elder Ralph W. Hardy Jr. "Naaman and Gehazi: A Contrast in Obedience." Ensign, Aug. 2002, 27.
  • Lenet Hadley Read. "Elijah and Elisha: Foreshadowing the Latter-day Work." Ensign, Mar. 1988. 24.

From elsewhere:

  • Bergant, Dianne. "The Broad Embrace of God." America Oct. 4, 2004: 23.
  • Crafton, Barbara. "Living by the Word." Christian Century Feb. 8, 2003: 18-19.
  • Levine, Nachman. "Twice as Much of Your Spirit: Pattern, Parallel and Paronomasia in the Miracles of Elijah and Elisha." Journal for the Study of the Old Testament 85 (1999): 25-46.
  • Marty, Martin E. "Bear Facts." Christian Century Sept. 7, 2004: 63.
  • Smith, W. Alan. "Naaman and Elisha: Healing, Wholeness, and the Task of Religious Education." Religious Education 89.2 (Spring 1994): 205-219.
  • Tabor, James D. " `Returning to the Divinity' Josephus's Portrayal of the Disappearances of Enoch, Elijah, and Moses." Journal of Biblical Literature (1989): 225-238.

Here's a freebie for anyone to use: http://www.edinboro.edu/~warren/Elisha.htm (if the (Microsoft clipart doesn't show properly with that, try http://www.edinboro.edu/~warren/Elisha.ptt). Email me at wendywarrenaustin@hotmail.com and I'll send you the original PowerPoint if you want.

2 comments:

Cindy said...

Sister Warren, I just came in from a 36 hour trip from the States. My mind is gelatinous. I realized that It was Sunday. (we lose an entire day on this trip) What was I to do about my Gospel Doctrine Lesson. Thank heaven I found your link on LDS Web Assist. I know I am not as prepared as I like to be, but this blog will point me in the right direction. I will be a regular here. I live in Penang, Malaysia. I have taught Gospel Doctrine to the Saints here for 2 years.

Wendy Austin said...

Cindy,
I have a present for you. I just played around with PowerPoint a bit for this lesson (I don't usually do that, but I have a trip I have to take off for right after teaching my lesson until Monday night, so I wanted it to go smoothly (and somewhat mindlessly for me), so I created this: http://ideawarehouse.typepad/idea_warehouse/elisha.htm (online) or the PowerPoint version which is http://ideawarehouse.typepad/idea_warehouse/elisha.ppt. Have fun. I was laughing a lot when I did it, but it IS serious and thought-provoking. Please excuse the echos of Seinfeld and the Colbert Report.